Wednesday, September 10, 2008

My theology of Willy Wonka


***NOTE:If you read my latest blog entry on workshop and my life right now this will make more sense...so maybe scroll to the story below this one first...then come back.

Recently, I watched my favorite movie, Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory (that's the old one) and since it's my favorite movie, there is no doubt I watch it over and over again. I love DVDs so I can just skip to chapters I want to watch. Anyway, Charlie withstands a number of tests without knowing that is what he is 'going through' (he thinks it's just a factory tour) and at the end he is the last kid. At the end of the tour Wonka yells at Grandpa Joe saying they do not win the special prize of a "lifetime supply of chocolate" because they broke one of the rules. They actually "drank fizzy lifting drinks"--an obvious problem.

Grandpa Joe begins to leave with Charlie and remarks that he will get Wonka back somehow. The easiest and most obvious way would be to spill the secrets of Wonka's candy making process to a competitor named Slugworth. Charlie, however (spoiler alert), brings a piece of candy Wonka previously gave to each of the children, puts its on his desk and turns to leave--he wouldn't betray Wonka.

At that moment, Wonka turns to Charlie and remarks, "so shines a good deed in a weary world." Then tells Charlie he's "passed the test." Charlie asks if that means he gets the chocolate and Wonka seems almost to laugh at this low-level of dreaming/expectation. He says, "the chocolate, yes, but so much more." He goes on to show him the entire factory and give him the keys! He gets the WHOLE place.

I love this scene and put God in Wonka's place and me in the place of Charlie. God is testing and refining me and I don't even know it (sometimes I DO) and at the end of it he says, "Bradley, my boy. You passed the test." And I ask for the chocolate (t.v. show, money, wife, health, etc.) and he laughs at this low-level dreaming/expectation. "Yes, Bradley, the chocolate. But SO much more."

I cling to this.

I just wanted to share my theology of Willy Wonka.

Thank you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home