Wednesday, September 10, 2008

...the workshop...


Over the past year, I have had some trying times and I think we each can find a few of those moments or even chapters in our life that seem like we are the only ones out there. Or, in my case, it seemed like at least God was out there but he was just that, out THERE and not with me in those moments.

In this industry and this city I find myself tried/tested/bruised/flying high more than anything else at any other point in my life. LA and acting to me is almost one big fire (o.k. that's a bit dramatic but so am I...so...deal with it).

Recently I came across a passage from My Utmost for His Highest that went along with what I have been feeling. It was divinely appointed, I think, because I had the date wrong and probably would have missed it b/c I don't read it everyday.

Anyway:

"We imagine we would be all right if a big crisis arose; but the big crisis will only reveal the stuff we are made of, it will not put anything into us. 'If God gives the call, of course I will rise to the occasion.' You will not unless you have risen to the occasion in the workshop, unless you have been the real thing before God there. If you are not doing the thing that lies nearest, because God has engineered it, when the crisis comes instead of being revealed as fit, you will be revealed as unfit. Crises always reveal character."--O.Chambers Sept 10

I like the idea of a workshop...that trials are a workshop for what is coming up. Sometimes it feels like God is dragging his (probably enormous) feet in my life, career, love life, personal development, financial freedom, etc. AND I KNOW God's timing is perfect. Yes. I know this...but.

"For you, O God, have tested us; you have tried us as silver is tried. You brought us into the net; you laid a crushing burden on our backs; you let men ride over our heads; we went through fire and through water; yet you have brought us out to a place of abundance."--Psalm 66:10-12

ARGHHHHH.

That's how I feel about that.

3 Comments:

Blogger Erin said...

BRADLEY!!

Its been WAY too long! Thanks for sharing about the Workshop. I'm embarking on a time of transition that I'm terrified but excited about. This summer I was in Europe and then Africa for a month. While I was there I was offered a few jobs, and to make a long story short I'm starting the process to move to Brussels.

God taught me a lot while I was away...and the biggest thing was that God is with us wherever we go, but He doesn't promise that it will always be easy. Like in Luke when he told Simon Peter to let down his nets again...Jesus didn't call to him from the shore, he was in the boat with him.

Joshua 1:9 "Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go."

This has really encouraged me...I hope it speaks to you too.

10:21 PM  
Blogger Bradley Hasemeyer said...

I'm so excited for you. Brussels. Is that where Brussel Sprouts came from? Curious. Thanks for your words to me! Much love "little irish lamb"

9:48 AM  
Blogger Michael Johnson said...

That is an awesome perspective! I have never looked at things we go through as a workshop. I needed this right now and I wouldn't have read it I you hadn't said I needed to read it before I read your Willy Wonka post!

2:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home