Saturday, January 14, 2006

Holocaust thoughts


I went to the Holocaust Memorial Museum today with my friends. This is the most powerful museum--by far--I have ever visited. I was very impressed by the architecture and the overall setup as we started on floor four and as we made our way through innumerable exhibits ranging from thousands of shoes discovered at Auschwitz to first-hand accounts by survivors.
After spending nearly 3 hours saturated with images and information from Hitler's rise to power in 1933 to the freeing of prisoners as British and American forces moved in during 1945 to videos and stories of survivors I was exhausted (and hungry). I have never felt so many different emotions directed in so many different ways in my life. It was an experience, for sure.

A few things really struck me:
1) Hitler's rise to power and the capture of Germany's heart was frighteningly fast.
2) The World's refusal to get involved or respond (the U.S. not withstanding) was appalling.
3) Hope is more necessary than bread or water and kept many Jews alive.
4) I take for granted democracy and differing parties that so often are frustrating because they can not agree on issues, however, allow a great check on power and eliminate much of what fueled Nazi Germany.

I suggest you and your friends/family make this stop a priority and take part in this work of art on an architectural, historical and humanitarian level.


This picture is from the "reflection area" where you could light a candle. It just seemed to fit the overall feel of the tour.

1 Comments:

Blogger eric yang said...

the holocaust museum is definitely one of the best in norte americana. nice pic.

9:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home